Wednesday

A NOTE ABOUT CREATIVITY



© Melissa Nowakowski February 2010


So this planner recently put out a call on Twitter asking fellow tweeters what they'd like to read on the Et Lofte Blog next. Wedding_Crasher posted "What do you love about [being a planner]".


While there are many things that I love about my profession, here's the point-blank answer: the creativity.


creativity (noun): Ability to produce something new through imaginative skill, whether a new solution to a problem, a new method or device, or a new artistic object or form.


Yes, taking on the challenge of, and having the ability to, make a client's lifetime vision a reality is quite rewarding. But there's nothing more rewarding to this planner than having the opportunity to get creative and produce an event that's well beyond that vision.


Now when I say "creativity" I don't mean looking for a concept in a magazine/blog/web site or taking an idea from a previous event I had done and replicating it. To me, that is not being creative. That is being inspired.


True creativity, I believe, comes from the depths of your own imagination. It's the drumming up of an innovative idea (or surpassing an existing one by largely tweaking it until it IS innovative).


It's the originality of thinking that will leave a lasting impression not just in your clients' minds but your own.


It's the ability and desire to take on the challenge of outdoing yourself with every idea you conjure up.


It's the not being limited by the same-old-same old rules or being afraid of contradiction, imbalance or being brazen in your approach to problems or ideas.


Creativity is truly the drive in my profession and what I look forward to with each and every client with whom I have the privilege of working.

No comments: