Friday

PARENT WEDDING SONGS THAT DON'T SUCK

We've all been to a wedding where the Father/Daughter and Mother/Son dance is to the same song we've heard at the last three weddings we've attended. And no offense to Bob Carlisle or Luis Armstrong, but if This Planner has to hear "Butterfly Kisses" or "It's a Wonderful World" one more time I'll be tempted to slit my throat with my butter knife.

I'm always on the hunt for unique songs for my clients to dance to with their parents -- songs that still have meaning (albeit perhaps not literal meaning) and yet are a little something different for both the couple, their parents and the guests who have to sit through the dances. The Father/Daughter and Mother/Son dance are special ones and so they should stand out in their own special way. And so I thought I'd compile a list of some of my favourites.



FATHER/DAUGHTER SONGS

Lynyrd Skynyrd - "Simple Man"

Jessica Simpson - "You Don't Have to Let Go"

10,000 Maniacs - "How You've Grown"

Loudin Wainright - "Daughter"

Mark Harris - "Find Your Wings"

Neil Young - "Here For You"

John Denver - "For Baby"

Bread - "Daughter"

Trace Adkins - "Then They Do" 

Bruce Springsteen - "When You Need Me"





MOTHER/SON SONGS

Bon Iver - "Flume" (there's also a cover by Peter Gabriel)

Dar Williams - "The One Who Knows"

Good Charlotte - "Thank You Mom"

Sissell - "Sarah's Song"

Kristy Lee Cook - "Like My Mother Does"

Mindy Glendhill - "Hourglass"

Blue October - "Blue Does"

Van Morrison - "Days Like This"

Led Zepplin - "Thank You"



EITHER PARENT SONGS

Guns N' Roses - "Sweet Child Of Mine" (there is also a cover by Sheryl Crowe)

Taylor Swift - "Never Grow Up"

Hootie & The Blowfish - "Hold My Hand"

Elton John - "Blessed" 

The Waifs - "Shelter Me"













No comments: